Submit a Blog Idea
The Rooted in Rights Blog is a platform dedicated to amplifying the authentic perspectives of disabled writers. We invite you to pitch us, because your words have power, and we want to help you share them. Please read the details below before submitting your pitch using the form at the bottom of the page.
What we’re looking for:
We’re seeking articles and op-eds on disability rights topics, written by people who identify as disabled. In order to have your piece considered for publication, keep in mind that it’s important to interweave your personal insights and experiences with broader cultural and disability rights issues. We accept a mix of narrative and reported pieces. To learn more about the mission and purpose of the Rooted in Rights Blog, read this Letter from the Editor.
Topics can include, but are not limited to:
accessibility, community integration, criminal justice, current events, disability history and culture, discrimination, education, employment, healthcare, housing, immigration, intersecting marginalized identities, law, media, mental and physical health, relationships, sex, sexual harassment and abuse, stigmatization, technology, transportation, voting rights
What we’re not looking for:
- product or service promotions/advertisements
- political partisanship
- pieces that have previously been published elsewhere
- submissions from non-disabled writers
What to know before you pitch:
- Rooted in Rights respects that language choice and identity are deeply personal, and will not edit how you refer to yourself.
- We will review and consider all pitches, but cannot guarantee publication.
- Due to the volume of submissions we receive, we cannot reply to all pitches.
- If your pitch is accepted, in order to ensure publication, you must submit a complete draft and work with the editor on any requested revisions.
- We pay on a sliding scale, with minimum payment being $100.
Please send all pitches using the form below. If you have any questions or if the submission form is inaccessible to you, please contact our Editor in Chief, Emily Ladau, at [email protected]
Please note that email addresses may be added to our communications list to keep you updated!