Accessible Media Resources
This page has links to information and services that could be useful for creating accessible media. Please note that linking a resource does not indicate an endorsement by Rooted in Rights.
Resources for Creators
Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)
- Voice Generator (text-to-speech)
Audio and Image Descriptions
- Alt-Text as Poetry
- Anti-Racist Audio Description
- DCMP: Description Key
- Service Providers:
Braille Embossing and Tactile Graphics
Captions and Transcripts
Exhibits and Events
- Accessibility and the Arts: Reconsidering the Role of the Artist
- Accessibility in the Arts: A Promise and a Practice
- Assistive Listening Systems for People with Hearing Loss: A Guide for Museum Settings
- Audio Description for People with Vision Loss: A Guide for Performing Arts Settings
- How to Guarantee a Seamless Mobility Chain to Users with Disabilities?
- How to Make Museums More Accessible for People with Disabilities?
- Maintaining Accessibility in Museums
- New Publication Shares Ways for Museums To Be Accessible and Inclusive
- Reel Access: A Guide to Accessible Film Festivals and Screenings
- Resources for Museum Professionals
- Seattle Cultural Accessibility Consortium
Sign Language Interpreting
- The Revolution Must Be Accessible: this guide created by HEARD advocates is available in ASL, English, Spanish, and text only English and Spanish with image descriptions
- Tips for Interpreters Working with Deaf-Blind Consumers
Web and Graphic Design
- Accessibility for Teams
- Adobe: Accessibility by Product
- Color accessibility: tools and resources to help you design inclusive products
- Colorblind Web Page Filter
- Color Contrast Checker
- Quick Reference: Testing Web Content for Accessibility
- Web Accessibility in Mind
- Web Accessibility for Designers
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) Overview
- WordPress: Accessibility
Deaf and Disabled Creative Organizations and Groups
- 1IN4 is an intersectional coalition of disabled creatives currently working in Hollywood focused on long-term institutional shifts to increase employment and authentic representation of disabled people.
- Access-Centered Movement is a trauma-informed movement that attempts to dismantle the hierarchy of bodies and minds.
- Black Disabled Creatives is a searchable database for Black disabled creative talent.
- Deaf Spotlight showcases Deaf Culture and Sign Languages through the arts.
- Disability Art and Culture Project is a a disability justice-centered incubator for art, culture, and justice producing.
- Disability Visibility Project is an online community dedicated to creating, sharing, and amplifying disability media and culture.
- Disabled And Here is a disability-led stock image and interview series celebrating disabled Black, Indigenous, people of color (BIPOC).
- Disabled Writers is searchable database specifically designed to help editors connect with disabled people working in journalism, or trying to break into the field.
- FilmDis is a a media monitoring organization advocating for authentic representation and inclusion of disabled people in front of and behind the lens.
- FWD-Doc: Documentary Filmmakers With Disabilities seeks to increase the visibility of, support for, and direct access to opportunities, networks, and employment for D/deaf and disabled filmmakers. Check out their resources page for additional resources: Resources.
- Recording Artists and Music Professionals with Disabilities (RAMP’d) serves as a resource for disabled recording artists and music professionals and their allies by amplifying disability culture, promoting inclusion, and advocating for accessibility in the music industry.
- Sins Invalid is a disability justice based performance project that incubates and celebrates artists with disabilities, centralizing artists of color and LGBTQ / gender-variant artists as communities who have been historically marginalized.
- Social Audio Description is an audio description cooperative that provides a wide range of audio description services.
- Visionaries of the Creative Arts aims to present a visionary platform for D/deaf and hard-of-hearing artists BIPOC to collectively create, collaborate, and showcase their culturally distinct work through various forms of creative arts.
Contests and Film Festivals
- Benefits of Audio Description In Education (BADIE) contest
- ReelAbilities Film Festival
- Seattle Deaf Film Festival produced by Deaf Spotlight
- Superfest Disability Film Festival produced by the Paul K. Longmore Institute on Disability
- VSA Emerging Young Artists Program
Social Media How-Tos
Facebook and Instagram
- How do I add or remove captions on my video on Facebook Profile?
- How do I add captions to my Page’s video on Facebook?
- How do I edit the alternative text for a photo on Facebook?
- How do I edit the alternative text for a photo on Instagram?
- Facebook Accessibility’s Facebook Page (@Accessibility)
- Facebook Accessibility’s Twitter profile (@FBAccess)