What to Do DisGiving Season
Watch this message from Courtney and learn some great ways to give this season!
’Tis the season to support great causes – and the disability community is doing a lot of incredible work. Here’s a list of some disability-led organizations that are definitely worth supporting – and of course we always welcome donations to Rooted in Rights!
Art and Media
- “Disability Visibility Project is an online community dedicated to creating, sharing, and amplifying disability media and culture.”
- “The Accessible Stall is a disability podcast hosted by Kyle Khachadurian and Emily Ladau that keeps it real about issues within the disability community.”
- “Disabled And Here is a reclaiming of our depiction, featuring disabled BIPOC with different diagnoses (or lack thereof), body sizes/types, sexual orientations, and gender identities who reside in the Pacific Northwest.”
- “Deaf Spotlight celebrates and showcases Deaf Culture and American Sign Language through the arts.”
- “Sins Invalid is a disability justice based performance project that incubates and celebrates artists with disabilities, centralizing artists of color and LGBTQ / gender-variant artists as communities who have been historically marginalized.”
- “Access-Centered Movement aims to change this, creating intersectional access to somatic-movement, dance, art, parties, events, and therapeutic services for people with disabilities and chronic illness through education, outreach, and classes; creating safe(r) spaces and changing which kinds of bodies, minds, and variations are valued in movement, creative, and healing space.”
- “Access Is Love aims to help build a world where accessibility is understood as an act of love, instead of a burden or an after-thought. It is an initiative to raise awareness about accessibility and encourage people to incorporate access in their everyday practices and lives.”
- Cripping up Sex with Eva is a sex education resource that provides sex positive information for people with disabilities. Eva Sweeney is a 36-year-old genderqueer disabled female who works primarily as a sex educator and freelance writer. Her topics include disabilities and sex, gender, and queer culture.
- “Disabled Hikers is a project by disabled hikers for disabled hikers. We provide information and resources that will help you know what to expect on a trail and plan accordingly. We want to help you enjoy the outdoors and love the experience from where you are.”
- “Autistic People of Color Fund provides direct financial support to autistic people of color through individual microgrants of amounts between $100 to $500.”
- “Council de Manos empowers Latinx Deaf, DeafBlind, Deaf Disabled, Hard of Hearing and Late Deafened (DDBDDHHLD) through social justice awareness, preserves culture, values, and heritage in the Latinx DDBDDHHLD community, through “know your story”, provides educational, self-advocacy and leadership training to Latinx DDBDDHHLD Youth, and educates the general community about life journey of Latinx DDBDDHHLD and their families.”
Donate to Rooted in Rights