Blog Editor-in-Chief Application
Rooted in Rights is searching for an Editor-in-Chief to manage the Rooted in Rights Blog. The Editor-in-Chief will field blog post submissions and work with disabled writers to support them in shaping and preparing their writing for publication. The goal of Rooted in Rights, and the blog specifically, is to create and amplify disability-focused stories by disabled people. Onboarding training and mentorship will be provided by Emily Ladau, our out-going Editor-in-Chief, for two months from the date of hire. Rooted in Rights is part of Disability Rights Washington, Washington State’s Protection and Advocacy System, so all blog posts must be non-partisan in accordance with federal funding guidelines.
- 12-month contract position with Disability Rights Washington
- $50 per hour
- 30 – 40 hours per month
- Please note that we often receive blog submissions about sensitive topics.
Note: relevant experience can be paid or unpaid
- Must have their own computer or laptop with reliable internet connection.
- 3+ years as a writer, particularly with narrative pieces.
- Experience working with and providing constructive feedback and support to people with different disabilities and access needs.
- 1+ years editorial experience, including copy-editing, proofreading, and communicating about larger structural edits.
- Comfortable with the spelling, grammar, and sentence structure of the English language. Openness and familiarity with a variety of writing styles.
- An explorative, open approach to collaboration while also being able to work independently.
- Strong time management, project coordination, and communication skills. We recognize that effective communication is different for everyone.
- Experience working with people across different time zones.
- Experience with social media strategy and SEO.
- Experience with or willingness to learn DocuSign, Gmail, Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Google Calendar, Shutterstock, Slack, Monday.com, WordPress, and Zoom.
- Experience with disability advocacy.
- Familiarity with disability justice principles.
- Review Rooted in Rights Blog submissions based on publishing guidelines and make publishing decisions.
- Maintain a regular schedule of blog posts to be published.
- Collaborate with the Rooted in Rights Team on blog topics, calls, and coordinated storytelling efforts.
- Seek guidance from the Rooted in Rights team and Disability Rights Washington’s Executive Director and Legal Advocacy Director on publishing approval as needed.
- Work with writers of approved submissions to edit their pieces for message, length, and clarity.
- Format and publish blog posts on WordPress, including titles, images, links, Alt-Text.
- Write share text and image descriptions for blog posts to be shared on Rooted in Rights’ social media platforms.
- Manage blog writer documentation (contracts, invoices, W-9s and W-8 BENs) through DocuSign.
- Attend weekly Rooted in Rights team meetings and bi-monthly check ins with Creative Director. Team meetings are on weekdays between 10am and 4pm pacific time for 1.5 hours.
- Collaborate with staff on social media strategy to launch newly published blog posts and amplify previously published blog posts.
- Manage blog post comments.
- Organize and save backups of blog posts.
- Track blog post website and social media data and advise on search engine optimization (SEO).
- Stay up to date on current events to craft calls for stories as needed.
- Build and maintain connections with writing and publishing groups, particularly those that focus on supporting writers from marginalized communities.
- Submit monthly invoices for hours worked.
If you would like to request accommodations for any stage of the hiring process, please email [email protected]
Submit an application using the form below by Sunday, March 27. Please attach your resume, a cover letter describing why you are interested in this position, two writing samples, and two editing samples.
If you are selected to move on to the next round, the next step will be an editing exercise. You will be paid $200 for your time completing the editing exercise.
Finalists will be invited to a 30-minute Zoom interview with Rooted in Rights’ Creative Director Allexa Laycock, Managing Director Rachel Miyazaki, and former Editor-in-Chief Emily Ladau.